(This walkthru is version 1.0, dated Mon., Dec. 6, 1993,
and comes courtesy of email@example.com)
Batman Returns contains a hodge-podge of elements from adventure, action, and
role-playing games. The plot loosely (*VERY* loosely) follows that of the
1992 movie _Batman Returns_. If you wish to understand the plot, seeing the
film is a must, as the game has plot holes large enough to drive the
Although you can control Batman as he battles his foes, that control is
limited to selecting weapons, and setting the 'ferocity' of Batman's attack.
The battles are importantnotes interactive.
The plot contains a time element. That is, certain objects and people will
appear in certain locations only during particular times of the virtual
"day." This adds a level of complexity, and is a real hair-puller.
Is the game worth it? Only for dedicated bat-fans, and even then it's not
worth full price. It's a sad thing that the best part of the game are the
sound fx and music. Once you have the walkthru, the game should take less
than an hour.
The game has neither on-disk nor booklet/lookup-type copy protection.
- Save the game frequently; make sure you save at the beginning of each 'day'
to minimize repeating steps in case you make a mistake. Also, save each
game under a different name.
- All evidence *must* be entered into the evidence monitor; you should always
'view' and 'extrapolate' all evidence.
- When you return to the Batcave at the end of each day, go to the vault and
replace your costume as needed. A good time to change is when you costume's
defensive or offensive capacities are below 50%.
- If you are having trouble with lockups, there may be a conflict with your
mouse driver. Call Konami technical support at (708) 215-5111 between
8:30am and 7:00pm CST, Mon.-Fri. (I believe a patch or help file is
available at an ftp site...somewhere)
- The game tends to run significantly slower on some computers when all
sound fx and music are turned on. If you periodically run into hard disk
accesses of over 30 seconds at a time during fights, or during the Batman-
running-to-the-Batmobile animation, try turning off all sound (by running
the 'install' executable).
I have left out non-essential parts of the game, such as viewing news
broadcasts, and watching videotaped evidence (if an action is important to
solving the game, it will be noted).
1. Go to the vault and then go to the utility belt monitor and load a
gauntlet, rope, batarang, bolo batarang, sonic batarang, lockpick, knockout
gas, and scanner.
2. Go immediately to the Plaza (you *must* arrive at the Plaza by 8:00pm).
Now jump down to street level.
3. Fight the acrobat (this is not a crucial step, although if you want to
win, use the sonic batarang. Next up is the fire-breather: use the bolo
batarang to subdue him. Interrogate, and choose 'explanation.' This will
get Batman a fish (!).
4. If you miss your chance to interrogate the fire-breather, you can use the
bolo or sonic batarang to interrogate the fat clown. Choose 'leader' to get
5. Return to the Batcave and enter the fish into the evidence monitor, then
select 'view' and 'extrapolate.' Now you have access to the fishmarket on the
6. Leave the computer and click the on the left side of the Batcave ("Wayne
Manor"). Click on 'yes' to make it Day 2. Click the left button to make the
new day window go away.
7. Go to the Fish Market (it will only be open from 6:00pm-7:00pm and 5:00am-
6:00am -- odd hours for a fishmarket, as far as I'm concerned). The
fishmonger will tell Batman about the fish obtained from the Red Triangle
Circus gang. This will allow access to the zoo.
8. Go immediately to the zoo. Click on Arctic World. Click on the ledge with
spikes on the left side of the screen. Take the videotape and return to the
Batcave. (The videotape is available only until 8:00pm.)
9. Enter the videotape into the evidence monitor, then select 'view' on the
evidence monitor. This opens up Shreck's office. Click on "Wayne Manor" to
make it Day 3.
10. Take the Batmobile and go to Shreck's office. When on the rooftop, click
on the door on the right side of the screen to enter the office. Click on the
globe, then on the drawer. Click on the note, then 'scan' it. (*Never* 'take'
evidence from Shreck's office, or no more will ever appear there, and you're
11. Return to the Batcave and enter the note into the evidence monitor. View
the note (this is the first step to finding the Penguin's new headquarters).
Go to "Wayne Manor" to make it day 4.
12. Go immediately to the fish market. The fishmonger will now give Batman
the information that will make the Penguin's HQ available on the Batmobile
map (Batman can now go to the Penguin's HQ, but he will not be able to go
inside yet--but soon :).
13. Go to Shreck's office. Click on the desk. Click on the memo and scan it.
14. Return to the Batcave and enter the evidence into the evidence monitor.
View and extrapolate the memo. This will open up Selina Kyle's apartment.
15. Go to Selina Kyle's and click on the floor on the left side of the
screen. Click on the photocopy of the memo and take it. Return to the
Batcave, view the memo, and go to "Wayne Manor" to make it Day 5.
16. Click on the news monitor and watch the Penguin tell Batman about his
videotape. You must get that tape!
17. Go to the mayor's office, click on the desk and take the remodeling
18. Go to Shreck's office, click on the globe and the drawer, and the memo.
19. Return to the Batcave and enter the evidence into the computer. View and
extrapolate the remodeling plans. This will make it possible to get into the
Penguin's HQ. Go to "Wayne Manor" to make it Day 6.
20. Go to the Penguin's HQ. There will be an acrobat to fight. Stay at
'normal' fighting until the acrobat leaves, or use the sonic batarang. After
the fight, click on the air-duct grille on the wall. Click on the Penguin's
desk, and take the videotape (if you don't get this by Day 6, you game will
21. Go to Selina Kyle's and click on her counter. Click on the floppy disk
and take it (the newspaper clipping is extraneous).
22. Return to the Batcave and enter the evidence. Go to "Wayne Manor" to make
it Day 7.
23. Go to Shreck's office and click on the desk. Click on the blueprints and
24. Go to Selina Kyle's and click on the floor on the left side of the
screen. Take both newspaper clippings.
25. Return to the Batcave and enter the evidence. View and extrapolate the
newsclippings about the Ice Princess (according to Konami, Batman will be
unable to rescue her without doing this). Go to "Wayne Manor" to make it Day
26. Go to Shreck's office. According to Konami, you should now see a cutscene
of Batman saving the Ice Princess, or failing to rescue her if you are too
late or did something wrong. (I've never been able to save the Ice Princess,
but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the game. To be true to the
movie, the Ice Princess must die. But being true to the movie was apparently
not a priority with the game designers. --Editorial comment.)
27. Return to the Batmobile and click on the map. Click on any location and
the Penguin will take control of the car. You will now see and combination of
fast driving, the Penguin's taunts, and really poor pictures of the Batmobile
out of control. Watch and wait for the Batmissile to return to the Batcave
28. Go to the garage and following a cutscene you will now be in the
Batskiboat. Press the ESCape key to go to the pause/save game menu. Click
on "Advance Time" until it is midnight (12:00am). Now go to the Penguin's HQ.
Click on his desk and take the map.
29. Return to the Batcave and enter the evidence. View the map you stole.
Save the game now. Go to "Wayne Manor" to make it Day 9.
30. Day 9 begins with Batman automatically going to the computer and watching
the newscast. When the newscast is over, the Penguin will begin his campaign
speech. You have until the end of the speech to stop him, so as soon as he
appears on screen, go to the video monitor. Click on the "Video Recorded in
Batmobile" option, then select 'Transmit.' The recording will play, then you
will see a cutscene showing the Penguin's speech being interrupted.
31. You will now see Bruce Wayne at Shreck's Ball. You will be asked if you
want to present the evidence to Commissioner Gordon. Select 'Yes.' If you
have collected all the right evidence, Shreck will be arrested. If you don't
have enough evidence, he will go free. Either way, you will then see the
Penguin crashing the party, then you will be sent back to the Batcave.
32. Go to the vault and take a fresh costume, if needed. Then equip Batman
with one standard batarang, and several other weapons, including a bolo
batarang, and a sonic batarang. (Do importantnotes use the regular batarang
final Arctic World confrontation in step 34.) Now is a good time to save the
33. Take the Batskiboat downtown. Walk across the beam, then click on the
"Street" button. This will take you to the circus train. Batman must defeat
the acrobat to save the kids -- use the sonic batarang to make it easy on
yourself. (Note: sometimes when you drop down to the street, there is no
train or acrobat. You may have taken too long to reach this point. Restore
the game you saved in step 32 and try again.)
34. Return to the Batskiboat. You will now see a cutscene of the Penguin
releasing his penguin army. When this scene is over, go to the zoo. You will
see the Batskiboat crashing into the Duckmobile. Batman will now have to
fight two clowns. To defeat the fat clown, use the bolo batarang. To defeat
the fire-breather, use the sonic batarang. Do importantnotes use the regular
(I'm not sure if the enemies are the same each time...) Now the Penguin will
show up. Click on the 'Fierce' button. This will make the Penguin fly away.
Batman and the Penguin will appear inside Arctic World. Now use the regular
batarang to knock the Penguin out. The Penguin will fall into the ice water
in a poor imitation of the finale of the movie.
This walkthru courtesy of...---
Karsten A. Loepelmann, Master of His Domain (*psychology*, that is :-)
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist." -- Dr. Peter Venkman
firstname.lastname@example.org /// email@example.com