Are you a soccer player, or are you a mouse?
Mice don't belong on soccer fields. If you you have neither a joystick nor a
gamepad, use the keyboard instead of the mouse. It makes playing FIFA Soccer
'96 much easier.
What kind of a players should are you looking for?
The most important player ratings are:
- Shot Accuracy
- Ball Control
- Shot Power
Here's the easy way past defenders:
- Dribble straight toward the defender
- Move back quickly
- Move forward again
- Repeat the back and forth until the defender commits to a sliding tackle
- As soon as the defender hits the ground, wish him a good day as you dribble
Here's a good way to move down field:
- Dribble down the sideline
- When a defender closes on you, retreat in the opposite direction until the
defender is directly in front of you.
- The defender will now back off
- Move forward again and repeat the process - each time the technique is
performed successfully, you will have moved farther downfield.
- An effective method of sneaking by the goalie entails taking the ball to the
top corner of the 18-yard box. More often than not, the goalie will come out
of the box to challange the shot. When he moves out of position, dribble past
and shoot at the open net.
- Another good way to score from this "sweet spot" is to wait for the goalie
the challange and then lobbing the ball over his head.
- Shots taken outside of the 18-yard box have a better chance of scoring than
those taken inside the box.
- When running in alone on the goalie, shooting at the near side of the goal
works better thant shooting the far side.
- In general, the best places to shoot from are the "sweet spots" - the top
corners of the 18-yard box and the 6-yard box.
- To avoid red and yellow cards, at the Staring Lineup/Substitution scree,
swap all of your starting players. Resume the game. You can now fould with
impunity - or any other part of your body - without getting carded. This holds
true until the ball goes out of bounds, when you can alter your lineup yet
- OK, you're losing a match and will do anything to win. Go to the Controllers
menu and take control of your opponent. What you want to do is to play as the
opponent for about four seconds. When you get possession of the ball, hold
down the Lob key or button/s and run straight toward the opponents goal. (For
those more metaphysically minded, this means that since you are the opponent
at this point, you're running at your own goal.)
- When you're halfway between the center line and the 18-yard box, let go of
the lob button. This technique results in a score in most formations, but you
might have to practice and experiment a bit to get get comfortable with the
- Want to run down the clock? Take control of both teams. Get the ball to one
of your own players. At this point, move closer to a teammate. You'll have to
practice this one a bit but if you get the distance between the two players
right, no other player will attempt to steal the ball. Everyone will stand
around watching while the clock ticks down to zero.
Adapted from the FIFA 96 Soccer Player's Guide
Copyright 1996 by Electronic Arts
Used with permission