* In the first week, concentrate on collecting money, getting more
territory through extortion, and recruiting.
* Build four teams, one each for recruiting, extortion, collecting money
and protection. For maximum effect, members of the recruitment team should
have at least a four-star rating in intelligence; the extortion team
should have four stars in intimidation; the protection team needs high
ratings in firearms or fists.
* Get an accountant and a lawyer early in the game. They can help cover
up illegal business schemes, bribe officials, and keep your gangs out of
* Your Lieutenants should have high intelligence and organization to be
most effective. A Lieutenant of a specific team should also have a high
rating in the skill that will most benefit his team's task.
* Be careful how you distribute your vehicles. Make sure your
Lieutenants are equipped with guns and vehicles, and only give weapons to
those who need them (gangs going in to commit a crime) or can use them (a
firearms rating of four or more stars).
* Buy a legal business as soon as you have enough money. This will help
keep the FBI off your back. A good accountant can also help cover up the
amount of illegal money you're making.
* Illegal businesses do best when they're placed in the best areas:
casinos in wealthy areas like the main bank; insider trading in the
finance companies, banks or real estate; whorehouses in dance studios,
massage parlors and hotels; speakeasies at breakfast bars, cafes, milk
bars and restaurants; moonshine stills at the drug store; loan sharks at
the banks, real estate or finance companies; teamsters behind the union
building; counterfeits at the printer or the bank; card games, gambling
dens, dice games, the numbers racket, pickpockets and prizefights in poor
areas such as bookstores or pool halls. You'll need a front and an empty
lot at the center of the block to set up an illegal business.
* If you see one FBI agent around an illegal business, you can either
kill him or close down the business. Groups of FBI agents will sometimes
attack your illegal businesses. You can choose to attack them or bribe the
judge, depending on how much money you have.
* If one of your men is arrested, try to bribe the judge or district
attorney in order to get the names of witnesses and jurors. You can use
this list to bribe, intimidate or kill them.
* Having more than one office improves the overall efficiency of your
* Make sure you have a great lawyer, lots of land and liquid assets
before you try entering an election. It's also best to have the Teamsters
on your side, which will raise your votes by around 10%.
* Try to locate the office of other gangs. The best way to do this is to
explore around the areas where you see other gang hoods. Send out a lot of
men when you do this. You can also kidnap an opposition gang member. Use a
group with high ratings in intimidation, firearms, stealth, organization
and intelligence and you'll get a list of buildings owned by your enemy.
* When you find the office, you can choose to get the leader arrested,
destroy the gang's legal business, or kill the leader. If you choose to
kill the leader, hit them with everything you've got, since it won't be